Thursday, July 15, 2021

Repair time


My Mom started this quilt before she died
No particular recipient in mind 
7 yrs later her baby son was having  baby
So the quilt was finished for Andrea
She happens to be my Moms babys baby.
She LOVED this quilt to death
It has holes and is see thru in spots because of wear


Enter Auntie Dawn

Auntie do you think you can fix. This for me?
I sleep with it  in every night
Says a 25 year old to me
Of course i can try.
This hole was covered in a heart 


I had to trace a new baby duck and find old looking fabric to fix this area 


Some of the old fabric i had to reattach down
This was one of those quilts made with zigzag  applique as the method on the fluffy poly batting


Off came the satinbinding which she wants replaced.itwas her comfort she says running her fingers on the satin edge 


This shows how faded the fabrics are



It is Mother Goose with 3 ducklings
A very cute pattern
I took off thebinding
Repaired some holes after reachin in to take out most of the batting

I think i am ready to layer with flatter cotton batting and hand quilt it

I will find some wide satin binding for it and hope it will be ok

I would like to make a label stating how my mom started it prior to 1989, it was finished for 1996 and now in 2021 is being repaired 
Wish i had a machine that writes letters.

A slow going project but a loved one for sure
I feel my Moms presence as I work on it.
Hope my repair will satisfy its owner

 

3 comments:

  1. Awe what a great project. How about you send me what you want written on a label and I will either hand embroider one for you, or machine embroider one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever repair! It will be appreciated and loved.
    And you've been busy in previous posts with lots of projects.
    I like your Woven blocks.
    I've been hand quilting with some dreaming and planning of new projects.
    Yesterday we watched little grand daughter and that was fun, we always sleep good after a day of running around after her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can tell it's a much loved quilt. You did a great job fixing it.

    ReplyDelete