Friday, April 16, 2021

More progress


I picked this border
To me it pulled all the colors in the squares
Number one the blue was too bright
Number 2 was pretty but my squares were off so i needed a distraction instead of a pretty frame
So i chose number 3
Now to find a back and quilt er up

See a pattern here? Yeah. Find a back fabric

I have come to the concluaion that i need to buy a bolt of a neutral kinda fabric for backs 

What???? An excuse to buy fabric you say???
Anywho.....

This is just one little project you can make out of 2.5 squares

I like sewing them pedal to the metal in twosies

Then making something
Like this 

Or like Dunkins quilt by bordering each 4 patch



Or using a 4 patch to start a log 
Cabin

Or combining with hst 

The possibilities are endless
And the playing is fun

So many say why do you cut your fabrics into the squares?
I say so i will use them

But what if you dont need that size for your project?
I am cutting fat quarter size and less.not yardage
The scrap bins are to help me stay a little organized 

And when cut already i am ready to play
I pick the bin thats the fullest and play in there

I have 3 inch, 2.5, 2, 1.5 
1.5 is the smallest i go
I have gone 5 and 10 but found i mostly am cutting them smaller

How do you tame your scraps?


 

4 comments:

  1. Muslin is the cheapest (cost wise) fabric right now and is neutral friendly with everything. I like to buy a bolt - Joann's works well with a coupon too! I'm starting two new "new quilter' classes and they are going to use my FQ totes as they learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sharon when you watch the good muslin at Joann's works awesome for backs, and if you get the 108 wide, especially when it is on sale or you have a really good coupon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to use older fabrics I've "..fallen out of love with" in big pieces for backings...I used to make double sided quilts (one side always being Christmas themed) but no more...
    Can you believe this cold weather? No snow here as yet...do you have snow?
    Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tame scraps? Mine are WILD...currently in bags and bins tucked away in storage. I really do need to get them organized. I heard that if you buy a whole bolt of something from Joann that you get 40% off.

    ReplyDelete