Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Memories this Christmas Eve


My Dad had a white truck
We picked peppers and loaded the back
Cut down trees
Loaded it with pumpkins and gourds in the Fall
So many memories come to mind when I see the red truck

I need to find this pattern and make this next year
For my table


Isnt it funny how the sounds and sights and smells of Christmas can trigger memories

Bells ringing to make sure Santa knows where you are or on the harness of the horses pulling the wagon through the snow filled with hay and you and carolers

Lights reminding you of Dad piling us all in the station wagon taking us around town to see the lights 

And ohhhhh the smells.......Mom made our turkey cook all night to torment us lol
We would smell that lovely aroma and come downstairs to hopefully be her taste tester
The pumpkin pies and cookies piled high and the creamiest fudge ever
Sooooo yummy 
She had 5 of us mouths to feed plus her and Dad and by the looks of my hips she did an awesome job lol
We would whip the cream for desserts and lick the beaters.
Taste test the cookies before decorating them you know.......to make sure they were safe
My Dad is a huge dessert fan but is not extremely overweight. At 87 he must have done something right. He still hunts with the boys and he got a deer. Brother got a bear but no deer this year. Dad showed them up for sure.

This picture is from left to right my bear brother or wreath brother
My sister in the middle trying to hone in on my typewriter gift
Lol
My baby brother on the right.
I must have taken the picture and not sure what my other brother was doing
Probably playing with his toys from Santa

Back then our tree was real from the Woods and decorated with tinsel that was carefully placed and then put back every year.
I hated when some strands got stuck in the vacuum making my chore lasting longer as i wanted to get outside and play in the snow

We were lucky
We lived on a dead end road and our neighbors were all family
Literally
My grandparents had land and gave some to my mom and her sister and brother 
And some 2nd cousins and 3rd cousins lived there too.
We always felt safe and loved
And had tons of kids to play with 
We skated on the nearby pond
Played in the quarter mile track with our homemade gocarts. My dad would get wheels and a frame and motor etc and we had so much fun. Our uncle in back had racehorses so the track was for the horses unless they were in the barn and he said we could use it. Fun fun memories

Hope the sights and sounds and smells of Christmas bring back good memories for you.
Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

2 comments:

  1. Awe what awesome memories. Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful memories of past Christmases...may they warm your heart this year hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete