Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Strawflowers


We used to grow strawflowers on the farm along with other Fall things like gourds, pumpkins and cornstalks

Anyway most Sat and Sunday afternoons a few of us could be found on the front lawn wiring flower heads

The head of the strawflower dries like straw
Hence the name
But
They become too heavy for the stem so you wire them to be able to use in arrangements


Farmgirl is progressing..........
I think???
Lol
Went from one quilt to FIVE
not because I have a lot of blocks 
But because I have 5 nieces 


I need to find 5 journals to document each quilt

They won't be the same
And will have different stories too
Depending on the blocks in them

I will for example put the pig blocks with the 2 girls whose Dad helped shovel them out 

Can't wait to finish one of these and find needed blocks for the stories

 

3 comments:

  1. Pretty block. Straw flowers are those like cone flowers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that block;)) My Grand-mere who grew flowers every year in her little backyard plot, never did strawflowers--mostly Hollyhocks (there's a block!!)and gladiolas delphiniums, asters etc.
    old fashioned flowers..good for bouquets.
    [FYI: I've only ever seen paper pieced raccoons]
    Hugs Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. 🌾 Beautiful straw flower. Say hello to Dunks from me please. 🐈 🌻

    ReplyDelete