Friday, June 10, 2022

Veggie Friday



As some of you know on Fridays here at the Y
They have a truck with produce and food for reduced prices every Friday to help people eat healthy with the food prices we now see

It has been a Godsend for me
They have a 12 lb bag of veggies for 2 bucks each week

Last week I got some potatoes, onions,2 summer squash, a bag of greenbeans, 2 tomatoes, and a container of blackberries in my 2 dollar Bag

I got 2 then split one bag between 2 neighbors going thru tough times 
One needs a new roof on her house and they quoted her between 7 and 12 thousand.its a mobile home 70 feet long with little pitch
I fear the shingles and wood costs are what's driving up the price. I paid 4000 a few years ago

The other lady had a hubs who broke his back in 3.  places in an accident
So huge medical bills in excess of 100000 and only her working
Yeah life can be fun

Anywhere it costs me just a dollar each to help them out
Like I said to one when she wanted to pay me
I could have spent that 2 dollars on the lottery and lost 
This was a win win
Inexpensive and I bless 2 people 

Getting back to my picture in the post I had my daughter in law order a pressure canning book for me to preserve for the winter
I
Was
So
Excited
When it came in the mail
The canner itself is coming soon

Hopefully my garden cooperates and us abundant so I can preserve food 

I am thinking salsa, tomatoes, beets,soups and beans

This fall is gonna be busy me thinks

I want to start now with some watermelon rind pickles 
They can be Water bath canned now
Then maybe some garlic jelly

Dad may also have some rhubarb that can be frozen or what have you

I really should have been an at home farm wife canning and sewing to my hearts content



Lookie here

Spaghetti sauce if my tomatoes overrun my pots lol
Yum

Do you preserve?
What do you like to can?
Jam?
Jellies?
Fruits?
Veggies?
Soups or meals?

 

6 comments:

  1. I have never canned on my own; but when I was growing up my Grand-mere and Tante Priscilla held canning days and our whole family would get together and can away !! What fun...
    Hope your crop comes through big time for you!!
    Hugs on TGIF Julierose;)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cut up the rhubarb and freeze it 4 cups per bag so I am ready to make rhubarb cake any time I'm craving it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to freeze fresh peas and butter beans but I've never canned anything. You are truly a blessing to others, Dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to help my mom can tomatoes from our garden. That was years ago. I don't do it on my own. I think it's wonderful that you're get all that great produce at such a great price. Let us know how the canning goes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep I can. Right now it is on hold, but I also make some jam, and I freeze rhubarb, and pumpkin. You are such a blessing to these people with your produce purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so kind to share with your neighbors. What a great deal on veggies! Your neighbor may can call around to social service & maybe churches, they may know of somewhere that would help pay or completely pay for her roof. There should be some place or person or group that is willing to help. And your other neighbor could call around to the drs & hospital her husband was (& is)treated by & sometimes they will reduce the amount owed. It's worth a try. We're still paying on an ER visit I had 2 years or so ago & we actually have insurance but it's still so expensive & the deductible is outrageous!! Keep praying & keep believing. God will make ways for all these folks & you as well! ✝️🌻

    ReplyDelete